Add hot water to one level teaspoonful (two teaspoonfuls for a stronger brew) of the tea and stir.
Allow to brew for 3-5 minutes. Stir again and wait 20 seconds for the tea particles to settle.
Sweeten with a little honey or sugar if desired (I drink mine unsweetened).
Do not add milk.
Drink the tea till you reach the sediment at the bottom of the cup.
- Do NOT use boiling water. This can damage the alkaloids and affect the flavor of the tea. Wait for the water to stop boiling completely – the ideal temperature is 90°C.
- This tea is full of natural alkaloids and is best consumed on an empty stomach, between meals or before/after a light meal.
- Do not add milk. Do not consume with milky or dairy foods such as yogurt and cheese.
- As the alkaloids can neutralize stomach acids, it is best not to take after a large meal – wait several hours.
- A small amount of Sodium Bicarbonate (baking powder) can be added to the tea to assist in the extraction of alkaloids. Use only a small amount – about 10% of the amount of tea.
- For further benefits, you can add a bit of fresh water to the cup, swirl, and swallow the sediment – there will still be plenty of alkaloids, nutrients, protein and fiber your body will benefit from by taking the tea powder directly into your gastrointestinal tract.
- You can use a coffee plunger to make the tea without any sediment, or use an AeroPress to make a stronger tea by using pressurized extraction technique – my favorite method.
- The tea can also be eaten raw for a substantial energy and mental clarity boost. Just take one or two heaped teaspoons, and, one teaspoon at a time, place in your mouth. Careful! – the powder is very fine, so don’t inhale or you can easily choke! Sip on a bit of water until you can swish the raw tea around in your mouth for 20 seconds or so, then swallow. Effects will be felt within 10 or 20 minutes. Follow with a full glass of water, as the energy rush can be accompanied by dry mouth 🙂
Recommended brewing kit:
We love using an AeroPress to brew our tea. The AeroPress was originally designed as a coffee maker, and it does make very tasty coffee indeed!
However, we’ve found that it also makes a strong and flavorsome cup of coca tea as well. The reason for this is that it uses pressure to extract more out of the tea than regular brewing.
As an added bonus, the AeroPress also traps the fine tea particles in its filter, which makes for a smoother, grit-free drinking experience…
We got ours from Amazon…